Trixie Belden

Sometimes weird things just pop into my head. For some reason the Trixie Belden book series popped into my head. I'm a bookworm. I love books. I have always loved books. For a couple of years when I was young we lived in a very small community named Marcellus. (Home of Cree Coach for you vintage travel trailer fans.) Being a small community, the library was also small. This meant there wasn't a vast selection of books for an avid reader. But, they had Trixie Belden. Below is a picture of the Marcellus library. When we lived there, the big section in the back wasn't there. The library was the smaller brick portion in the front.


We lived just a couple of blocks away from the library. So, walking back and forth to get a new book was an easy thing. Our house was an older home with floor registers that blew up. I would grab my books and a blanket and camp out over the register, tucking the blanket all around so it would puff up like a balloon when the heat would come on, wrapping me in all that wonderful warm air. Trixie was like a friend. I was mad about horses as a girl, so all of Trixie's adventures with horses were right up my alley. And, like any young girl, I would avidly read to see if something would happen between Trixie and the male counterparts in the series. 


I learned a lot about my childhood heroine, and her series. The first Trixie Belden book was published in 1948. There were 39 Trixie novels in all. The creator of the series was Julie Campbell Tatham. She wrote the first 6 books, but then decided to stop. The rest of the books were written under the pseudonym Kathryn Kenny. There is speculation about who the other authors were; but probably no one will ever know for sure. There is a wonderful website, www.trixie-belden.com that outlines all kinds of information, breaks down the various books, the series, etc.


While reading about the series I grinned when I saw that book #2 was the Red Trailer Mystery.   I thought, "I need to get this as a trailer decoration." Interestingly, there are several different covers for book #2, with one having a silver Airstream type trailer on it, not a red one. 


Since the series started in 1948, the same year as our United travel trailer, I think I need several of them. So, the hunt will begin. Yes, I know I can buy them on eBay, but I think I'm going to take the slow route, enjoying the thrill of the hunt, and discovery of each new one. I can't wait to read them again.

Comments

Popular Posts