1965 Avion H-24

We designed our Vroomers silver trailer slippers with a nod toward the silver beauties such as Airstream, Avion, Boles Aero and Avalair. However, all of our personal vintage trailers were all wood frame. Were.


This past spring we spent time in our friends Kirk & Beth's '64 Avion H-24; and our friends George and JoEllyn's Avion (also an H-24 I think). We kept commenting on how nice and roomy they were inside, and how comfortable they were. However, we were happy with our 1948 United, even if it is a little small for us now. We also have that 1958 Holly sitting waiting for some love and attention. 


In August, while camping with Kirk & Beth (and another friend Tom who also has lovely silver trailers) my husband mentioned an ad he had seen for a 1965 Avion H-24 that was for sale. Bowing to peer pressure, we made the call. I have to confess, we had been talking about how more room would be nice, and more storage. They didn't need to do much arm twisting. <grin>


Mark had to head out of town, so Beth and my son Tyler went on a road trip with me to look at the Avion. I don't think the owner was too thriled with "two women" coming to look at his 20 years in the woods hunting cabin, but he was "surprised" by how thorough we were. Hmmm... 

After much negotiation, and thinking the trailer was not going to be ours for a few weeks (the price went up instead of down during negotiations - huh?) we finally got the call, and the trailer was ours. We picked it up on September 11th. We were scheduled to camp at the Tin Can Tourists Fall Gathering on September 21st. Yikes! Kirk and Beth came over that night to admire our new baby, and brought us gifts of cleaning supplies. What good pals. 

 Mark did a hero's job of working his tail end off from dawn to dark every day; even washing the exterior in the rain (he said the rain helped loosen the 20 years of crud off the exterior). We cleaned out the 20 years of mouse poop and other nasties, we disinfected, and disinfected and then disinfected some more. I painted the bathroom, scrubbed the floor, bought mattresses for the beds and made valances. And, 10 days after we brought it home, we were camping in it.




I ran out of time to make the goucho cushions, but thankfully the cushions from the United fit, so while they didn't match, they gave us a place to sit.

It was so cute, my silver Vroomers sitting inside my silver Avion. (yes, I'm a dork) I guess my slippers were telling me something. I now have a silver trailer to go with my silver slippers. Yay!

Comments

  1. Received a 1965 27' Avion. I cannot find anything with the layout we have and was hoping maybe you could suggest a site or a contact where we can find out more about it and also to see if there have been renovations to the original. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts