The Junking Gods Smile Upon Me

Yesterday was a day for running errands.  I had to go to Secretary of State, the Passport Office, Social Security and a few other stops.  While making one of them, there was a Salvation Army across the street that I had never been to.  So, I decided to pop in and check it out. 

The store must have just opened a short time before I arrived.  There was someone moping the floors, so all the aisleways were wet.  There were full shopping carts in the aisles as employees were loading things onto the shelves, or rearranging the shelves, and it was LOUD from all the clatter from the shelving process.

As I always do, I made a circuit through the furniture first.  No interesting Mid Century offerings.  Then I headed over to housewares and started wandering the aisles.  Nope, nope, nothing, eh, too expensive.  It was looking like this trip was a bust.  But then, I turn to the next aisle and my eyes land on the lovely colors of enamel squiggleware.  Turquoise, yellow, pink and even black.  Fry pans, small pots, large pot.  Oh my goodness.  I darted to the front of the store to grab a cart and before you could blink I was back putting them in my basket.  The pink frypan was still in the employee's cart and it went from his cart to mine, never hitting the shelf.  I left the large turquoise pot there.  It had a big enamel chip on it.  Oh, and they all had lids!  Score.  I left Sal Army a happy girl.

On my way home I decided to take a route that would take me past two different resale shops that I often have good luck at.  Pulling in to the 2nd Sal Army of the day I did my rounds and didn't find much of interest.  Then I checked out the artwork hanging on the wall and there was a lovely little oil painting, on canvas in the impressionist style.  I couldn't find a price on it, so I took it off the wall and started wandering around.  Then this man comes up to me and says he was going to get a price check on it.  Uh, it's in my  hands pal.  If you wanted it, you should have put it in your cart.  So he starts stalking me through the store.  Okay, now I'm creeped out.  Finally the guy disappears and I go to the checkout counter.  The very nice man there tells me that the other guy wanted them to take it from me and they told him that if he was interested in it, he should have put it in his cart and that since I had it, I had first right to it.  Then he gave me the price, and then knocked it down another $10.  WOW.  So, I picked up this beautiful oil painting for $25.

Freedom Treasures is a resale shop run by Freedom Work.  Freedom Work is an organization that hires adults with developmental disabilities.  Freedom Treasures are the stores they run giving people a place to work.  The money from the items they sell goes toward funding the work program.  The store is clean, bright and we've picked up some neat things in there.  Since it's not far from home, I decided to push my luck and swing in there to see what I could find.  There were a few interesting furniture pieces, but nothing I couldn't live without.  Hmmmm, all books are 50% off.  My home always needs more books.  (My husband may argue that but hey, we're a family of readers.)  Then I went into the fabric/craft area.  Sitting on the floor were these big white lumps.  Looking closer I realized they were the cushions for a sofa, but brand new, without the fabric.  WOW.  I can use them to make the front goucho for the Avion.  So, for $4 each I picked up the two seat cushions and two back cushions.  All I have to do is make the covers.  

Such a satisfying day.  I love when that happens.    

Comments

  1. Great scores! I believe in the "if it's in my hands, I have first dibs" rule, too.

    The set of cookware is truly swoon-worthy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts