1965 Winnebago Travel Trailer

Both of my grandfathers passed away when I was a little girl. One of my clearest memories of my Grandpa Barker is when he came to visit us in Columbus, Ohio. I remember waking up one morning and my parents telling my brother and I to open the door. There was a Winnebago motorhome in the driveway! They said we could go knock on the trailer door, so out we ran to see who was in the trailer. The door opened, and there was my Grandpa and Grandma. We thought their motorhome was just the coolest thing. Grandpa died not very long after that, and the Winnebago was sold. Now, all these years later whenever I see that distinctive W on a Winnebago I think of that morning. Unfortunately, as far as I know there are no pictures from that visit. It only lives in memory.

As you may know, we're vintage trailer nuts. One day we were driving down a side street and sitting in a lot, looking sad and neglected was an adorable little Winnebago travel trailer. Ahhhh, there's that W that makes me grin and feel warm and fuzzy inside. We left a note with a neighbor to see if the Winnie was for sale, but didn't receive a call back.

Several months later Mark turned down that road again to see if the Winnie was still there. It was, sinking into the dirt, looking so sad. This time the owner was home, and we quickly came to an agreement on the price.
 

So now the cute little Winnie is home. It's adorable, but needs a little work. We'll replace the flooring where it's bad, clean it up, and probably sell it in the spring. But, for now, while we own it, I've named it Earl, in honor of my Grandpa. A little part of me still feels like I'm 5 years old when I look out and see the Winnebago in the driveway. I just like that I get to touch base with my memories and then the trailer will go on to help another family make wonderful memories too. Now - I think I need to design some new slippers. I'm inspired!





Comments

Popular Posts