Meet our 1965 Cree Coach Model 22

I grew up in Marcellus, Michigan.   Well, one of the places I grew up in was Marcellus.  We moved a lot, but the longest place we lived and I went to school was Marcellus (4 years).  When I go to class reunions, I go to Marcellus.  Anyway, for all the years we've owned vintage travel trailers, I've wanted a Cree.  Cree Coach was based in Marcellus.  Whenever we'd go out to my cousin's house we'd pass the factory and we'd see all the trailers lined up in the lot waiting for their new happy owners.

We found one ... but we weren't quick enough and someone else bought it.  In the meantime we have bought quite a few different trailers, each wonderful in their own way.  Then, this fall, there was a listing on Craigslist for a 1965 Cree only about an hour and a half from us.  I called my hubby and asked if he wanted to go look at it that night.  Sure, why not he said.  He's such a smart man.  So, off we went, camera in hand, to check it out.

Oh my goodness, it's lovely.  The owner purchased it 20 years ago, put it in his driveway and never pulled it out again.  He used it as his "man cave".  It's in original condition, and except for needing exterior paint and some minor tweaks inside (the fridge wires were cut for some reason so we need to get that fixed and the furnace isn't working) it's ready to go.  I could hardly contain my excitement.  We came to an agreement on price and agreed on a time for us to come back and get it. 

My pretty little Cree is now home.  I can't wait to recover the cushions, make new curtains and make it cute.  This is MY trailer.   (I will let others camp with me in it - but this is my Sister on the Fly trailer .)  I'm so excited.  I've also started a Facebook page for Cree owners, since there just isn't a lot of information out there about them.  I've been in contact with the newspaper in Marcellus and I'm hoping to track down the owner's family and see if there are any archival materials we can copy.

Here's a peek at how she looks now, before being fixed up.















Comments

  1. We owned a 1960-something Cree when I was growing up. What memories! Your photos of the curtains really hit home...had forgotten what they looked like! Combing through old photographs and receipts to narrow now what model we owned. Visited a vintage trailer rally yesterday where I ran into a Cree owner (from my hometown, no less) and that's what started all of this. Good luck with your Cree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun that you owned a Cree! I have such great memories of living in Marcellus. There is a Cree Facebook page with some brochures uploaded that may help you narrow down your search.

      Delete
  2. I got two cree jackets they are in great shape they have marcellus on them

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts