Grandma's Diary - February 14

The Rusty Glider - Grandma's Diary Eleanor Vera Glassbrook Barker's February 14, 1935 journal entry

February 14, 1935

Valentine's Day.  Earl bought me a lovely box of candy.  Awful nice.  We went to a show after dinner.  Raining awful hard.  Water all over the yard.  Wish it would freeze.  I gave Mom a box of candy, just like Earl gave Mrs. B.  She likes it I think.

Surprisingly little written about today.  I expected a lot more.  Funny that Earl gave her a box of candy when that's what they gave to their Moms too.  They had a warm up too, because the other day the newspaper said it was record cold weather.  Just as crazy as now.


The Rusty Glider - February 14, 1935 Lansing State Journal front page newspaper
The Rusty Glider - Hitler to solve cheap car problem February 14, 1935 Lansing State Journal articleNews - The trial of the "Lindbergh baby killer" comes to an end and Bruno Hauptmann is found guilty.  There is to this day still discussion about his guilt or innocence.  Many believe he was set up to take the blame for the murder and he went to his death proclaiming his innocence.  

It is so chilling to see articles talking about Hitler and Mussolini and the war going on.  The US involvement is still several years away, but it's coming.  

The Rusty Glider - Lansing State Journal February 14, 1935 articles about Mussolini and war

The Rusty Glider - Arbaughs soap sales
I did laundry yesterday and need to buy more laundry detergent.  I think that's why this ad caught my attention.  A few of the brands I've never heard of but I sure like the prices!

Comments

Popular Posts