Cousins

I am so blessed to have wonderful cousins. Mom has a big family and I have lots of wonderful cousins on her side.  I mean LOTS!  Dad was one of 3 kids so I only have 4 cousins on that side.  Growing up I was so fortunate to have Pam Uptegraft who was the cool older cousin, then Leeann Younglove Reider and Cathy Younglove MacManiman who are both close to my age and then Jim Younglove joined the family.  Family vacations were always to Michigan or New Jersey to visit.  The older I get the more I cherish these people and all our memories. 

This weekend we made a quick trip to NJ to celebrate Cathy’s daughter Caroline’s marriage to Ryan.  The wedding was wonderful and beautiful.  I have never seen Caroline so happy and radiant.   Right before the trip my travel plans changed and right down to the last moment things went wrong and I thought I wouldn’t make it but I was determined to be there.  (The mishaps are a whole other story.)  Yesterday we gathered at Cathy’s house to just relax and visit.  We were there until late into the night laughing and telling stories and sharing memories.  Someone would bring up a story about Grandpa’s cottage at Turk Lake and that would spark other memories. Stories of annual gatherings in Ohio would send us off on a fit of laughter.  New memories were made. There was so much joy, love and some tears.  We have shared loss of parents now (my Dad and Aunt Rhonda).  Watching the next generation take in our stories reminded me of my own childhood listening to the “grownups” laughing and telling stories. We all have kids, some are now getting married and starting their own adventures (Pam is a Grandma!). I was so happy to even get to attend the dance recital two of Jim’s daughters were in.  Leeann let me crash at her house on short notice.  It all worked out nicely.  I HATE that we live so far apart.  Times like this weekend are good for the soul. I love my New Jerseys and my Lansings.  My heart is full.

Comments

Popular Posts