Eyes on Design

Every year the Eyes on Design car show is held on the grounds of the Edsel and Eleanor Ford home in Grosse Pointe, Michigan.   It's held on Father's Day and, as an invitation only show, it showcases incredible automobiles.

Earlier in the year I  was contacted by a member of the selection committee looking for a Metropolitan and asking if mine was available.  I again told him mine wasn't to the level they're looking for, but gave him the name of a couple of friends who have lovely Mets.  He was very excited when I told him about my friend FT (Doc) Wallace's 1954 Croton Green Metropolitan.  I did warn him that Doc is not a fan of car shows so I didn't know if he'd bring the car out or not.  

I guess he was persuasive, because a couple of days before the show, Doc called to see if we were going to attend.  We'd never been to this show, but since Doc was going to have his car there, and we don't get to see him often enough, we decided to go.

We go through the gates and the first vehicle we see is this spectacular Tucker.  Be still my heart.

We stood and looked around.  Where to go first?  So many beautiful vehicles.  Oh wait, there are boats, and motorcycles too; and pedal cars.  GOODNESS!  Then, across the way I spot a lovely little car that called out.  It was Doc's Met looking oh so adorable.


Doc's car was part of a feature of Baby Boomers Compacts.   I would have been proud to own any of the incredible vehicles in this grouping:
  
 


 

 

 

There were so many beautiful cars it was hard to choose the best, so pictured below are a few of the ones that caught my eye.














The boats, motorcycles and pedal cars were an interesting add-on to the show.











It was a great day, with amazing vehicles on the beautiful grounds of the Ford home.  But, for me, the highlight was getting to visit with my friend Doc.  










Comments

Popular Posts