You should write a book

I posted the following on my personal Facebook page.  I'm sharing it here too along with the conclusion that I'm going to start writing here more frequently.  

You should write a book.

Many people have said this to me over the years.  Most of the time it has to do with our story of premature babies, special needs, navigating the "system", etc.  But, sometimes very nice people say it while commenting on my occasional long-winded posts that have nothing to do with any of that.  I've thought about this a lot.  But, frankly, I wouldn't know where to begin.

Telling our family story would involve my boys' Dad.  Since he has passed away, I don't know that it's right to discuss him when he's not around to share his side of the story. (The ultimate cause of our divorce had nothing to do with special needs kids, but it did play a part in the decline.)  I also have big blank areas in my memory from those years.  I would have to reach back into those memories and emotions; and then probably go into therapy.  😆  Besides, there are lots of stories out there now about families with kids with disabilities.  I do wish there had been a platform for me to write on when they were little.  I follow a woman with a younger son (12) who is on the spectrum and her words spark so many memories for me.  It would have been helpful and probably mentally healthy for me to put things in writing when going through that phase.

My other posts are all kinda just musing about our life in general.  I have a blog, but I rarely post on it and no one reads it anyway.  I'm not good at doing things daily.  I have good intentions but then, squirrel, oooh shiny, there's a puppy that needs help... and I take a left turn into distraction land.  Plus, I really don't think our life or the musing of my crazy brain is the fodder of a book that anyone would want to read.

Writing something that someone else would pay money for, and read, is like a kind of magic to me.  As a life-long bookworm I have a tremendous respect for authors.  My friend Debbie Estleman is a published author (pen name Deborah Morgan) as is her husband Loren Estleman.  Our friend Robert Wades has a book available on Amazon right now.  Magic. 

I've thought about podcasting, but again, that whole "consistency" thing is not my strong suit.  I listen to podcasts all day, but they're primarily topic driven and again, my life is not that interesting.

So, I hope you guys don't mind that I ramble on sometimes.  But, honestly, I've been told this so many times I'm wondering if I should start paying attention.  What do you guys think?  Blog, podcast, book... other???  I just don't know.  


Comments

Popular Posts