The "R" Word

Today, Michigan lawmakers are voting to remove the word "Retarded" from state statutes. Read about it here.

Advocacy groups are pushing hard for this change, not only in Michigan, but across the country.

In a prior blog post about my son Tyler, I used the "r word" in my article, while relating an experience I had at the time.   Some people have commented about the use of this word.   I have not changed it, because the word was appropriate for the time-frame that it was used in.

I don't think I'm so keen on revisionist history.  Are we going to go back and remove other words from books, legislation and history?  Words like, negro, nigger, moron, spic, cracker, chink, etc. are not appropriate words to use today, but were commonly used words in other times.  Are they good?  Nah, not really. Would I use them now?  Nope.  

I think rather than spending my tax dollars having our legislators deal with revising current documentation, I'd prefer they spend that money on education in schools and social outlets.  

A lot of people disagree with me on this. That's okay.  It's just my two-cents, and an explaination why I use the word in my other blog post.

Comments

  1. I guess I stand in the middle on this. I want the word removed in law.... but not history. Open dialogue about the impact of words in every avenue possible results in the open change. As I have shared many moments with my daughter about how the impact of words on her life experience.... she has taught me the most about how one lives with the stereotypes that accompany the words. Then of course the Momma Bear always comes out in me.... it doesn't matter how old my daughter is! Advocacy seems the best outcome these days for that fury.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I agree that words should not be used that are hurtful, I find all the money being spent on changing wording in legislation not the best use of my tax dollars. Make sure we have appropriate wording in future legislation, and use our efforts in schools for education and anti-bullying campaigns. I guess I see it as putting a bandaid on a gaping wound. It's better to heal the wound.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts