My husband is so fortunate

On Sunday our friend Jay came to visit.  He and my husband grew up near each other and have great memories of fishing on the local lakes, using their HAM gear and getting into typical boy mischief.  MANY years later I was cleaning out my "spam" email box and there was one titled "Are you married to my friend?"  Mark happened to be next to me and told me to stop before I deleted it.  I knew someone with that name, he said, open it.  And, with that, their friendship was rekindled.  While their paths took different directions in high school, it's amazing how many shared interests are present today.  It warms my heart to listen to them.  

Mark is friends with people he went to high school with, to college with, and one friend they even went to the same elementary school. Through job changes, marriages, divorces and distance this group of guys have stayed in touch.  Sometimes new photos appear.  Friends who have passed away are mourned, and their stories shared.  

I moved every 2-3 years and I don't have those kinds of forever friendships.  I did reconnect with one elementary school friend, and I LOVE that, but we're not close.  She's far enough away that we don't have the opportunity to make new shared memories.

The older I get the more I have learned to cherish those who we know from childhood.  I envy the connections Mark has.  It reminds me to poke my head out of the house and connect with my friends.  So, today, call an old friend.  They're valuable.

Comments

Popular Posts