Create Ripples

Today Tyler and I had a meeting with the new director of Community Living Services, the agency that handles service coordination for Tyler. Tyler and I have given several presentations about his business and we were asked if we would speak tomorrow night at the Board of Directors' meeting for Oakland Community Health Network. We agreed and since we hadn't met the new director before, she wanted to meet with us first.
We had a lovely meeting and I have absolutely no doubt that Tyler will do an amazing job speaking tomorrow. We also talked fairly extensively about some ideas that keep buzzing around my brain but we haven't stepped forward on for a multitude of reasons. She gave me some great ideas and food for thought. I still don't know if it's a door we'll walk through or not. There are a lot of financial and time related matters to consider before we do it. But, the thought keeps coming back.
She also said something that struck me hard.
In Michigan an individual with disabilities can receive services through the Intermediate School District until the age of 26. When we went to visit the program for the school district Tyler was in at the time I left, called work and said I wouldn't be in that afternoon, and cried. I told Mark I'd create a program for Tyler before I put him in that dismal environment. I was horrified and offended that our society thought what I saw was okay for these amazing people. That day, although I didn't realize it at the time, started us down the road to Tyler's Bottle Service.
She asked Tyler how old he was. He told her he had just turned 26. She pointed out that he would just be leaving the post-secondary program if I had put him in it. Wow. I hadn't thought about it in those terms. If we had accepted what was offered rather than reaching for something better he wouldn't have had his experience at MCTI yet. There would be no Tyler's Bottle Service for the last 5 years. And, Brett, Drew, Austin, Jennifer, Evelyn, Evan, Matt, Johnathan, Andre, Nicholas, Lamar, Keith and several others wouldn't have their own bottle return business experiences.
I am so thankful that we didn't settle for what was offered but reached for something better. It's definitely more work this way, but it's so rewarding. Earlier today I saw a video clip about Mother Teresa that included this quote. It touched a chord. I'm thankful that we threw the stone. And, I'm thankful that Mark goes along with my crazy ideas - even when they seem to be just that - crazy. We are so very blessed.

Comments

Popular Posts