Local Celebrity

Ding, dong. The doorbell goes off. I rarely answer my door anymore. I have no desire to talk to sales people, Church of Scientologists, Jehovah's Witnesses, etc. I do answer for cute Girl Scouts selling yummy cookies. But that's about it. I peek out the window and a pleasant looking woman is standing there wearing a campaign t-shirt for a State Senate seat. Okay, I'll talk to anyone willing to stick their neck out and jump into the political fire.
She hands me her campaign card, introduces herself and asks me a few questions. Then she asks about my personal wishes for the state. I started discussing job opportunities for individuals with disabilities and the fact that I'd like to see tax incentives for employers who hire people with disabilities AND pay them at least minimum wage. (It is LEGAL to pay a person with disabilities LESS than minimum wage, which I think is horrid.) I discussed how we had started a business for my son and it grew far beyond our expectations, and how we've helped others start their own businesses.
I also mentioned the state recycling law and I'd like to see it expanded from just carbonated beverages to all beverage containers, including water bottles.
Wait a minute, she interjects. Are you talking about the Bottle Service Guy that is all over Facebook?
Tyler's Bottle Service? I respond.
YES. That's the one. He's incredible.
That's my son. That's us. I respond.
Seriously. Tyler is famous.
This lady has a background in business development and we started discussing the recycling center idea, and other things. Win or lose, she wants to help me navigate some of the hoops if we move forward. It was a good discussion.
I thanked her for her time, and for being willing to step into political office in these very trying times. I think no matter if I agree with their stances or not, it takes a special person to be willing to do it.
And I can't believe she knew about Tyler.

Comments

Popular Posts