JoAnne Cunnington - a most influential woman


My friend passed away on July 18, 2015 at the age of 70.  She was far too young to leave us.  I was surprised and deeply saddened by the news.  Since then, she has been on my mind a lot, and all the ways she made an impact in my life.

I worked for Jo in the early 1990s.  She was going through the process of becoming a National Sales Director with Mary Kay Cosmetics.  I was a consultant in her unit when I met her, until my own recruiter moved up to Director and we became our own unit.  JoAnne asked me to work for her when her current assistant moved south.  I was deeply honored that she asked me to work for her, and I jumped at the chance.  

When I started working for JoAnne I saw her through the eyes of a Mary Kay sales consultant.  She was tall, striking, successful and I was in awe of her.  She was very different from any other woman I knew at that time.  Then, when I started working for her, I came to know her as the woman she was in her down time.   Every morning when I would get to her house we would sit together to plan out the day.  JoAnne had a lot of health issues, and it was helpful to her that we have everything written down.   As a "fly by the seat of her pants" kinda gal, this process at time frustrating to me, but looking back it taught me how to prioritize, stay organized, and keep focused.  We would then launch into our tasks for the day, and then would break to have lunch together if she was home and not meeting with customers or Directors.  In those down times I came to learn about her history and what made her laugh.  I learned about her childen that she was so proud of.   I will never forget being there when some boxes of items from her childhood arrived.  She wept going through the box and was so proud and excited to show me the momentos from her past.

JoAnne was very driven.  Life had been hard for her in many ways.  But, she often said Mary Kay saved her life.  She raised her children on the money she made through Mary Kay.  I often wondered how she did it, when she was so very sick.  There were many days when she would be in bed; getting up to go to an appointment, and then coming back to crash again.  Her clients, and Directors rarely knew how truly ill she was.  She knew how to put on a smile, suit up, and get the job done.  I have thought of that often as I have faced my own trials and tribulations.  She "did it anyway" even when all she wanted was to stop. The rewards for her hard work made it worthwhile.

When Jo became a National Sales Director, Mary Kay Cosmetics sent a crew to photograph her for her National Debut in Dallas.  Jo asked them to take a photo of me with her, and it was included in the presentation.  That meant so much to me.  There, with all the Directors and other people that helped Jo rise to her position, the top 1% of Mary Kay Cosmetics, there was little ol' me, her assistant.   I wish I had a copy of that photo.


At the end of each month Jo and I would run the numbers.  We would calculate where her personal unit stood, where her area stood, how her directors were doing in their units and she would hit the phones, asking how she could help. From Jo I learned how to track progress, analyze data, and reach out to others. In Mary Kay, to reach the top of the ladder you cannot get there alone.  It requires a team effort.  No one succeeds unless a lot of women succeed.  By reaching out and helping other women grow and flourish, Jo in turn was a success.  Now, I never understand women that are jealous of other women when they succeed.  We all win when we're all reaching our personal goals.  


While I worked for JoAnne, I was pregnant with Tyler, and then with Logan.  I was very ill, and would often reach her house and run to the bathroom before starting the day.  We would laugh about what messes we were, and then tackle the job ahead of us.  She showed me, by example, how to not let things stop me.

I will never forget the day when I answered the phone, "JoAnne Cunnington's Office" and this sweet southern drawl on the other end greeted me, asking to speak to JoAnne.  It was Mary Kay Ash.  I almost dropped the phone.  She asked my name, and thanked me for helping JoAnne reach her goals.  I was floored that this woman took a moment out of her day to acknowledge the secretary who answered the phone.  It was the kind of woman that she was.  

When we would go to National Convention, or when there were training seminars, JoAnne was like a rock star.  Women would flock to meet her, get their picture taken with her, and would want a bit of her time.  At one National event, JoAnne had a port in her arm, to get IV medication.  Most of the women had no clue she was so ill.  She stood, smiled her bright smile and took time to talk to each woman that wanted to meet her.  She showed me that what most of us want is to be recognized, to be acknowledged, to feel like we count.  Even a touch and a smile makes such a difference.

By helping JoAnne plan her events, I learned how much I enjoy such things.  I helped her plan her award banquets at Seminar, her training seminars, her National Area debut.  I did her newsletters, 3 of them, each month for various groups.  I kept track of her books, sending data to the accountant each month. I learned how to manage a business thanks to her.

Each day JoAnne would send out notes.  They would be notes of encouragement, to let people know she was thinking of them, or maybe to give them a few words of inspiration.  I'm not nearly as good as she was about it, but I think of her whenever I sit down to send out note cards of my own.  It is like a little hug through the mail.  

Even after I moved away, we stayed in touch.  For a few years I would go back to help her with year end wrap-up and National Convention planning.  We worked well together.  We had a rhythm.  Then she moved to Oregon, and that connection ended.  She would occasionally give me a call to ask how things were going.  When I married Mark she sent the loveliest vase, and she alone knew some of the history behind my first marriage, and understood what Mark meant to me.  

I also watched and listened as women were jealous of JoAnne, and her success.  She was very aware of it, but was extremely gracious and never let on.  From her I learned that with success will come those who wish to tear you down.  I learned to not listen to them, and move forward on my own path, with a smile on my face.

I didn't want to be Jo.  While I cherish my time in Mary Kay, it wasn't the path for me.  I still believe it's an unparallelled opportunity for women.  I use the skills I gained from my years in Mary Kay every day as I follow my own path.   

There is so much more I could say.  The memories of my babies playing on the floor in her gorgeous house, and her holding them.  The memories of just sitting and laughing over things in our lives.  The memories of watching her work a room, and learning so much from her graciousness.    The last thing I have learned from her, is that my prayer is when I pass, that other women feel that I made an impact in their life, like she made in mine, and thousands and thousands of other women.  I am blessed that I could call her friend.  Rest in peace JoAnne.  You made a difference.

Comments

Popular Posts