Do I really mean what I say?

For years I have said that I didn't care what our sons did as adults, as long as they were happy, productive and on the right side of the law.  I believe this. Too often people work at jobs that make them miserable (been there, done that) just because of the amount of money it pays them.

My son Tyler started his own business last year, Tyler's Bottle Service.   It is growing by leaps and bounds, and he is very proud of what he has worked so hard to build, and rightfully so.  The premise is simple, he goes to businesses and homes and picks up their Michigan bottle deposit returnables, gives the customer half the deposit back and keeps the other half as his fee.  In Michigan, we pay a 10 cent bottle deposit when we purchase carbonated beverages.  We get that money back when the can or bottle is returned.

A few months ago a large local event asked Tyler if his business would handle the returnables for the 3 day event.  He said yes.  This was the first time we handled something like this.  We figured it'd be a good learning experience, and great for getting the word out about Tyler's business.

The event was this past weekend.  Quake on the Lake is a hydroplane race weekend, with bands, contests, vendors, etc.  It's a great time, and raises money for "The Rainbow Connection" an organization that provides wishes to critically ill children.  Nice!   

We ordered t-shirts with Tyler's business logo on them.  We had large signs made with his logo that went on the boxes that were just for returnables.  We bought a pull cart to haul the cans around in.

In my head, if there are boxes clearly marked "BOTTLES AND CANS ONLY" and others that are clearly trash, people would deposit the items in the proper receptical.  Right?  Wrong.   In my head, we'd go around once every hour or two and make sure the boxes didn't need to be emptied.  Right?  Wrong.  

So, we've all done it.  Okay, maybe not ALL of us ... but most of us if we're honest.  We've seen people picking through trash to get those cans and bottles out; and we've made judgments about it.  We've thought, I'd never do that.  Or, buddy, go get a job, it's cleaner.  Blah, blah, blah.  I admit, I've judged.

So the weekend event started and we're noticing how many cans are being thrown away in the trash barrels rather than in the clearly marked boxes all over the place.  We picked a few out of the top, but, gross!  So, Mark finally went to the store and purchased some of those grabber tools.  Yes, we are now officially picking cans and bottles out of the trash. 

Each day we went around the venue, pulling the cart, with our grabber tools collecting the cans and bottles from the proper containers, and the trash cans.  People watched us.  People talked about us.  I knew what they were thinking, and saying; because I've done it too.  My wonderful husband was out there working too, and even had business associates come up to talk to him.  I'm sure they were thinking "Wow, real estate really did tank if he's resorted to trash picking."

But, Tyler had no such qualms.  His job was to collect the cans and bottles.  He didn't care where they were.  He was there working, and was proud to do it.  

Sometimes God tests us to see if what we say is really what we mean.   Doing the can collection at this event was very different from doing pick-ups at homes and businesses.  It was a lot of work.  We came home exhausted.  But, I'd do it again in a heartbeat to see the look of pride on my son's face as he heard his business mentioned over the PA system.  And, I had to face my own pride, and my own judgments on other people smacked me in the face.  Gee, thanks God!  




Comments

  1. wonderful story Rhonda, you could be a writer. Congrats to Tyler on a job well done! And to you guys too for working so hard.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts