We Meet the Most Interesting People - Gene Dawes

From Gene - My love for cars began when I was just a very young girl. Dad and my Uncle owned a dealership in South Chicago, Illinois. They sold Paige and Jewett cars in the late 1920’s.I can remember when Dad took in a Mack truck on one deal - it ended up in our back yard. I can remember climbing up into the cab, what a thrill; especially for a little girl of about 4 years old! After that Dad sold Ford Model “T’s.” My family took a trip in a 1926 Ford Model “T” to “The Dells” in Wisconsin. Only thing I can remember is that it rained for several days and of course the side curtains had to be put on. I caught a BIG fish, big enough to feed the whole family (of four).

In 1932 Ford brought out their first V-8 powered car. Dad had a new demonstrator every few weeks. By this time I really knew what gasoline smelled like, from trips to different garages with my Dad. I learned how to drive in 1936, my boyfriend taught me how to drive. Later I met my first husband (Bill), and of course he loved any kind of car.


We did own the very first Volkswagen brought into this country. Ford Motor Company brought it in from Germany to examine it in detail. When they were through with it, it was sold and we bought it. One day in Royal Oak, we had parked the car to go shopping. We returned to find a crowd around it. There were SO MANY questions. What make is it? What did “Volkswagen” mean (peoples’ car). How fast will it go? How many cylinders? My husband finally typed a page of answers and taped it to the side window.


In 1950 Bill and I joined the only Antique Car Club in Michigan with meetings. It was the VMCCA Region. Now there are Antique Car Clubs for almost every make of car ever made.


At last we bought our first antique car (in Birmingham, Michigan). It was a 1926 Buick, Master Six, Four Passenger Coupe. My present husband (Carl) and I still own the ‘26 Buick.


After my first husband’s death (in 1969), I continued with the car events and tours with our Veteran Motor Car Club of America (Great Lakes Region), and the Old Car Festival at Greenfield Village. Tours were all over Michigan, Ohio and Indiana. Prior to 1972, VMCCA did not allow women to be members. In 1972 that changed, and in 1974 they even elected me to be the first woman on the Regional Board. I held the position for 9 years. I also was wagon-master for Memorial Day weekend tours, arranging everything from the route, to food for every meal, lodging, etc.


We were also charter members of the Sportscar Club of America, which met in Detroit. In the Press On Regardless competition, we took 1st place in our little Crosley.

In 1981 I was lucky enough to marry another “OLD CAR NUT” (Carl Dawes). So when people say it’s only your husband that is interested in old cars, I say “NO, I had more cars than he did when we married”. I had 5 cars, and he had 2 cars. They are really surprised at that statement.

Rhonda asked me about cars I have owned in the past. A few of them are: 1940 Chevy Convertible, 1950 Buick Special, 1960 and 1967 Citroen, 1960 Buick, 1972 Buick Riveria, 1915 Paige Touring, 1915 Model T, 1928 Model A Town Sedan, 1928 Model A 4 door, 1929 Model A Woody (We bought this car in New Hampshire. Kids had painted it green. We took it all apart, restored it, and redid all the wood.), 1960 Buick, 1963 Dodge Dart Convertible, 1970 Dodge Dart Swinger Coupe, Pontiac Bonneville, and a Crosley 2 door, along with the 1926 Buick, the VW and our little Nash Metropolitan.


My love of cars also started another of my collections; Ertle Car Banks. When I saw my first Ertle car bank I fell in love again (Carl better watch his step). These banks are so cute and they bring back so many pleasant memories. My collection of dolls and teddy bears is another subject ... later.

Rhonda’s Note: Gene graduated from Chicago Normal with a 3 year certificate, and went on to obtain a degree in Elementary Education with a minor in art and music. An accomplished musician, she played the cello. She and Bill built the home that she and Carl live in today; and they designed and sold over 1600 copies of the plans for their barn to people all over the world. Gene has been active in the doll collector and the teddy bear collector hobbies for many years.

This article was originally written and published in “The Mitten”, the newsletter I put out each month for the Mitten Mets car club. Gene wrote the initial article, and then I interviewed her to get more details. Gene has incredible photo albums of various car tours all through her life. They’re a “who’s who” of the Michigan classic and antique car hobby.  Since this article was written Gene has advanced a couple of years along the path of her life.  She's still rocking the car show circuit with her keen sense of humor and beautiful smile.   Unfortunately her darling husband Carl passed from this world to the next and left a huge hole in the hearts of all who knew him.  Thank you, Gene, for sharing your story with us.

Comments

Popular Posts